ADA-friendly PDF: phi_D042829-01 Infection Awareness Infographic.pdf

CIED Infection Awareness

60,000+ patients with CIEDs (Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices) develop an infection in any given year.1 They may have a pocket infection, a systemic infection, or even endocarditis.

Only 40% of them receive the proper treatment—immediate extraction of all hardware, including leads. The other 60% are either untreated or undertreated—i.e., treated with antibiotics alone. This is inefficient, costly, and could lead to mortality.2